- Bachelor of Engineering – Civil (Hons)
- Member of Institution of Engineers (Aust.)
- Fellow of Australasian Institute of Chartered Loss Adjusters
- Fellow of Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance
- Fellow of Chartered Institute of Loss Adjusters (UK)
- Associate of Institute of Arbitrators and Mediators Australia
Steve is a qualified civil engineer. His experience in this involved the investigation, design and construction of water and sewer reticulation and associated structures. This included tunnelling, major and minor reticulation works, canals, water retainment structures, and associated road and building works. The work involved such activities as contract administration and project management.
From 1979 Steve worked with 2 international insurance brokers in Sydney, specialising in the fields of construction and energy related risks including on-shore and off-shore oil and gas risks, and risk management services. His experience included a period working in the London and US insurance markets. Steve reached the position of Account Director for, what at that time was, the largest insurance broker in Australia.
Steve founded Technical Assessing in 1986. Since then Steve has been involved in the investigation and assessment of all manner of losses specialising in the construction and energy fields. This experience encompasses losses involving construction material damage, plant and equipment, public and products liability issues, advanced loss of profits/delay in start-up claims, professional indemnity issues and a wide variety of property damage related issues. This has involved Steve in the detailed investigation of the cause of loss and its affect, quantification, and policy interpretation. Such investigation has included areas as diverse as:
- civil construction involving all manner of works including roads, bridges, marine structures, tunnels, dams, pipelines and canal works, and landscaping;
- building works involving multi-storey buildings, factories, commercial premises, and domestic works;
- plant and equipment, including mobile and fixed cranes, pumps, conveyors, excavators and loaders, and mining equipment;
- liability risks, including building collapses, failure of shoring, underground services, and a wide range of defect works, and professional negligence;
Steve also has significant experience in construction risk analyses and surveying, for all manner of risks. He has also written a number of papers and articles, and has been involved in a number of presentations on construction related insurance issues to various associations, insurers, and solicitors, as well as involvement in loss adjustment education.